|Home :: About Us :: Our Shops :: Contact Details|
LATEST NEWS:- 5th January 2017Ron taking a private guided Winter skills session, on Helvellyn, over the New Year period.
19th November 2016There is plenty of snow on the Old Man of Coniston today. We should have excellent conditions for our Winter Skills courses,for more information about the courses and to book please Click Here
11th November 2016On the top of the Old Man today with snow on the Lakeland fells.
Ron Rutland was out today on the Old Man of Coniston. As you can see the path near the top was icy. Good boots and crampons are advised.
October 8th 2016
Ron 2016 - Peak Lenin 7,134m
Saturday 3rd September 2016
Peak Razdalnaya 6,300m
Lenin - Satilite Peak!
Wednesday 24th August 2016
Peak Lenin 2016 7,134mRon Rutland on Peak Lenin
We arrived at Peak Lenin base camp on schedule just as the snow fell! From then on the weather was going in the right direction. Early acclimatisation treks were undertaken with on early rotation to camps 2 and 3, 4 team members withdrew for personal and acclimatisation issues. In the last few days a small weather window appeared on the horizon and we left base camp with high hopes of a summit climb. A final push to camp 3 at 6,200m left us in a strong position for summit success. Lenin was not to give in easily and during the early hours coinciding with our departure a snowstorm engulfed us. At first light we could see that no summit was possible.The forecast which had been reliable was now not in our favour, leaving no option but descent. A brilliant expedition with a great team had come to an end, all we needed to do was descend!
Wednesday 17th August 2016
The end of a beautiful expedition to Peak Lenin! 6,100m
Wednesday 10th August 2016The team arrived at Camp 3 yesterday poised for a summit bid today. Heavy snowfall was due tonight but they hoped to reach the summit with an early start, and return to Camp 2 before the weather turned.
Ron has just phoned from Camp 2 to say that unfortunately the heavy snow came yesterday. It snowed all night with over 30cm of new snow outside the tent when they were intending to leave at 2am this morning - and it was still snowing heavily.
Sadly instead they used their energy to dig out the tents and make their way back down to C2. Over 40cm of snow is forecast for tonight so clearly a summit is out of reach - again!
Ron arrives back on Sunday.
Sunday 7th August 2016
They made C3 last week and returned to C1 to rest and wait for a weather window. Ron was feeling good - he even scaled an unclimbed peak above C3!
Tomorrow morning, 4am, they will leave for C2 on a summit push. Hopefully Tuesday will see them at C3, and in the early hours of Wednesday morning they will leave for the summit.
The route starts with a descent of 80 vertical metres from C3 before 400m of ascent up steep rocky scree, it follows a long broad undulating ridge with a 100m very exposed section. After many false summits hopefully they will be rewarded with incredible views of the Pamirs from Peak Lenin's true summit 7,134m.
The forecast for the next 3 days seems moderate - extremely cold but only moderate snowfall and generally light winds.
We wish them well!
Tuesday 2nd August
Two of the team have been evaccuated by helicopter off the mountain with altitude sickness early this morning. Hopefully they will make a quick recovery at a lower altitude.
Ron made the journey to Camp 2, 5,400m today - taking 6 hours. The route over the glacier skirts around the main icefall but is still heavily crevassed - although Ron thought less crevasses than last year hence his improved time by 1 hour!
He will spend two nights at C2, located on a rock spur on the edge of a huge bowl, planning to return to C1 on Thursday. Tomorrow he hopes to climb to Camp 3, 6,100m - making the best of the weather window.Sunday 31st July 2016Peak Lenin Expedition
Yesterday they reached 5,000m in better weather but today Ron has been in touch to say that he is back in camp 1 in a snowstorm - with little hope of progress for the next day.
The weather pattern is looking more stable mid-week, apart from high winds - so hopefully more progress will be made.
Peak Lenin 7,134m Kyrgyzstan
Ron arrived in Osh at 1,000m last Sunday, travelling via Istanbul. They made the 5 hour drive to Base Camp, 3,600m, on Monday. The weather seems fairly mixed, although they did manage some acclimatisation walks during the few days spent there.On Thursday they walked to Camp 1, 4,400m, arriving just ahead of violent thunderstorms. Clearly the weather seems no better than on Ron's last trip.On Friday morning they woke to a white world with 10cm of snow having fallen overnight. They did manage an acclimatisation walk up to 4,700m during a break in the weather.Ron is climbing with Bunter who was with him on their previous successful ascent of Manaslu, 8,156m, and Kyajo Ri 6,186m in Nepal, aswell as their joint trip to Gasherbrum in the Karakoram.
Peak Lenin Camp 1, 4,400m
On 23rd July Ron Rutland, Summitreks Director will leave to join an expedition to climb Peak Lenin 7,134m situated in the PAMIR Mountains of KYRGYZSTAN.
25th June 2016
Ron Rutland took this photograph today on Great Burney Fell above Coniston
26th February 2016Private Guided day out with Ron Rutland On Helvellyn
18th February 2016Private Guided day out for Father and son. Helvellyn
16th February 2016Ron going up the Old Man
Ice on the path up the Old Man of Coniston, Crampons or Hillsound trail crampons a must!
John on the Old Man of Coniston.
13th February 2016Out on Helvellyn on one of our Winter courses.Extra date added 5th-6th March 2016. http://www.summitreks.co.uk/winter_courses.html
10th February 2016A beautiful day in the lakes
28th January 2016Ron Rutland Summitreks Director has been involved over the past week in the filming of the BBC drama series 'The A Word'. His role has been as Heath and Safety Adviser for the actors and crew during the mountain scenes.
21st January 2016Ron Rutland yesterday was out on the Old Man of Coniston checking the snow levels ready for the Winter courses. Visit our website for more details and added dates, www.summitreks.co.uk/winter_courses.html
19th January 2016Ron Rutland Summitreks Director has been involved over the past week in the filming of the BBC drama series 'The A Word'. His role has been as Heath and Safety Adviser for the actors and crew during the mountain scenes.This photograph was taken on Honister Pass while on the way to the filming location.
The photograph from Borrowdale below was taken while out filming.
12th January 2016Snow here again in Coniston and more due this week.Book a Winter Skills course today so you can enjoy the fells all year round in safety.Visit our website http://www.summitreks.co.uk/winter_courses.html
12th December 2015Well we had the floods here in Cumbria last week now it's the turn of the snow to visit us, a much more welcome sight it has snowed here all day. The photograph is of the Old Man of Coniston today.
14th November 2015The first snow of the Winter season was seen on the Lake District Fells yesterday. Book a Winter Skills course today so you can enjoy the fells all year round in safety. Visit our website http://www.summitreks.co.uk/winter_courses.html
Peak Lenin in refection
Thursday 13th August
Summit ridge from Camp 3
The summit ridge proved long and arduous with soft snow to impede our progress. 8 hours later we were still 2hrs from the summit and decided to turn back. Visibility was poor and route-finding severely testing! The last members reached Camp 3 at 7pm -a 15 hour day on the summit ridge of Peak Lenin!
Everyone was in good spirits and felt that we had given it our best effort. All that remained was to descend to BC the following day and plan for our next challenge!
Wednesday 5th August 2015
It seems that the unsettled weather continues- No word from Ron as yet but an update has come through indicating that the team reached 6,900m. yesterday but in the face of deteriorating weather had to return to C3 at 6,100m.
They are all well in ABC today and plan to return to BC tomorrow. A superb effort given the poor weather they`ve experienced throughout the expedition. So very close!
Friday 31st July 2015
After other teams have been thwarted with high winds near the summit, Ron's group will wait until Sunday to start their summit push. With snow every day so far and the associated avalanche risk, they are optimistic that the weather pattern will change towards the end of the weekend.
Rested after a couple of nights back at ABC(4,400) they will set off through the camps - passing the familiar C2 at 5,400m and probably overnighting at C3, 6,100m. From here, after a descent of 80 vertical metres, there is a 400m ascent of steep rocky scree. This is the toughest section of the route and sometimes a 4th camp is used. Due to potential high winds they plan to carry on through the next 100m. section of exposed terrain making for a long summit day. The top is reached after a long undulating ridge weaving between rock bands and over many false summits.
Hopefully they will be rewarded with amazing views over the snow-capped peaks of Kyrgystan towards the Pamirs before returning to Camp2. A truly long day!
Tuesday 28th July 2015
Yesterday the team left for Camp 2, at 5,400m located on a rock spur on the edge of a huge bowl. The route is heavily crevassed crossing a glacier skirting the main icefall and should take about 6 hours.
They plan to spend 2 nights at Camp 2 making use of the time acclimatising further and checking the route to camp 3 at 6,100m.
Friday 24th July
Peak Lenin -ABC 4,400M
Wednesday 22nd July
Ron has been in contact to say tomorrow they will move up to Camp 1 - a 4 hour walk away sited on the the edge of the moraine at 4,400m.
Today they climbed up to 4,400m on Peak Petrosky in good weather, so should be well prepared for the altitude of C1. From here time will be spent acclimatising and exploring the route to Camp 2 at 5,400m.
Tuesday 21st July 2015
Ron left Heathrow on Saturday 18th July for Osh, a small Russian town at 1,000m, to the north of the Kashmir and Tibetan borders.
Via Istanbul, they arrived on Sunday to be greeted by hot and humid temperatures of 29c.
The Peak Lenin team now all together Osh, Kyrgyzstan.
He is with a group aiming to climb Peak Lenin at an altitude of 7,134m in the Kyrgystan region of Russia. They made the 5 hour jeep drive to low base camp, 3,600m, yesterday - a picturesque meadow in a lakeside setting.
Above Base Camp, Lenin
Rain accompanied them on their first acclimatisation walk to 3,800m - but today they were rewarded with clear skies and views of the route ahead when they climbed to 4,200m. After a short acclimatisation period at low b.c, they will move up to the next camp at 4,400m in the next few days.
Sherpa Aid UK- Ron Rutland is a trustee for this charity. Please use this link to donate to Sherpa Aid UK through Jagged Globe.Your donation will help the families of Sherpas who have been affected by the Earthquake and help with the medical fees for those that were injured.
Click this link Jagged Globe
|Copyright © 2017 - Summitreks Ltd|